West Shore

West Shore

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Language

#1957 (Number One Nine Five Seven, as The Apparatus calls me, perhaps I should say) reporting once again. It is still a frigid world where I am. I heard, through a broadcast by the state run Island Media, that it has been a hard winter in my home country but that a warm spell has finally descended upon some of the worst hit spots. No such luck here:







I still struggle with my "job" as An Object of Curiosity. One way I'm trying to achieve this, and to appeal to The Apparatus, is to make and publish photos such as this one:


I have titled this:

                                                                     SNOWBANK


Yes. Silly isn't it. Yet I think this is what will please the populace of Soybean Island. Forgive me. But this also raises the subject of language.

You see, the Official Language of Soybean Island is English. Other languages can be heard here. French, German, what I think is Portguese. certainly Spanish is not that unusual. But there are also a number of Asian languages, what I am told is mainly Korean and different dialects of Chinese. I am not knowledgable enough to ascertain which is which and what is what.

I do understand that a lot of these people who do not speak English, or speak only some, are fellow rendition prisoners. But alas, even if we could communicate fully, it would be too dangerous to do so. I will try to show some signage of different languages in coming posts--that is, if this blog is not discovered and I am sent off to a true gulag. My understanding--as I may have mentioned before--is that a prison/jail/detention center/gulag exists north of Soybean Island City. This is a rumor, yet one that sounds quite true; a rumor no doubt put out by The Apparatus in order to make people such as myself think twice about talking, commingling and asking the wrong questions. Fear is a great pacifier . . . I realize I should discuss the geography of Soybean Island, at least what I understand of it. But that could be very dangerous--I have never seen a map of this place and, I know, you cannot find it on any conventional atlas. That will have to wait. Instead, I will leave you with a few more photos of the outre banks of the island.




Enough. I am sorry I cannot reveal more. I am here and I wait for Spring and--someday--my eventual escape. So . . .
Until next time:

Goodbye from Soybean Island

No comments:

Post a Comment