West Shore

West Shore

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Snailtown


The University of Soybean island has its own town. A campus town affectionately known as Snailtown.

Yes.

Snailtown.

It's real name is Academic Economic Zone One (AEZ1).

There is a Academic Economic Zone Two (AEZ2), which I will attempt to venture to at some point (though it is very risky for me to do so). But for now, let's just visit Snailtown:





The place--Snailtown--is often quite animated, with young adults walking and striding and scooting about. I have no idea why. But, at least it offers some activity to the usual dour fare of Soybean Island City and Cornana, not to mention the rather cloistered self-protective atmosphere of Ste Abattoir des Chevres Pres de la Mer. (Stalag Ranville is a place of its own peculiar distinction of which I know nothing and hope to know nothing--except to reveal its insidious ways somehow, some day.)

As one might expect, Snailtown has its shops and restaurants and watering holes for the young:






The middle photo I believe is the Fighting Snail Inn, a much beloved dive of storied importance for the students and alumni alike.

To be honest, I do not quite understand how the university operates. It is, perhaps, an elaborate sham. A Potemkin Institution of Higher Learning, one could say. And I just did.
 . . .


As mentioned before, the student body consists of all sorts of bodies from many nationalities. (Yet no extraterrestrials, to my knowledge.) However the dominate ethnic and cultural factors appear to be Northern European and North Asian. Though on the surface all of Soybean Island and its architecture, language, pseudo-government and habits are mostly American--United Statesian--in manner and persuasion, there is an undercurrent of many other cultures here.




I'm uncertain as to what the writing says on the window. Perhaps: Free Smells. Or: Gourmet Subs. But, really, I have no clue.

Fler bilder:




Invigorating!

Of course, just like within the University, in AEZ1 I stand out in the young crowd. Though, I suppose, this is what I am supposed to do in my "profession" as An Object of Curiosity.

Look!:


Oh. Wait. Nevermind . . .


All this economic activity on such a hermetic and smallish island does make one wonder. My guess is that--among the regular folk, among the lower Elite--the money changes hands in a largely circle-jerk fashion (excuse the metaphor) and is really quite pointless. But, once again, I have little true idea of how this works. The elite of the Elite and the politburo types of The Apparatus are the ones making the real wealth. I know not who--that is, a direct individual, if there is one--runs this misbegotten and forlorn island.

Anyway. The facade must be kept and the citizens--even we prisoner-types--must carry on.





Alas.


More bilders of Snailtown to spill:




This latter one looks very The Apparatus-ish, if I do dare to say.


And that's it:

The campus town of The University of Soybean Island

Snailtown

Academic Economic Zone One

AEZ1

There you have it.

I still have AEZ2 to show you. Ste Abattoir des Chevres Pres de la Mer. Stalag Ranville (if possible). And who knows what else I may unearth on this secretive terrain.

My work is never done.

Until next time, if there is a next time:

Goodbye from Soybean island,

                                                       #1957


No comments:

Post a Comment